Price and Service Information: Probate (uncontested cases with all assets in the UK)
Cost of Service
We offer a probate and administration service which falls into two categories:
Option 1) To obtain a Grant of Probate following provision of information and values required for this from clients, and thereafter clients to deal with the administration of the estate. Our fee range for this option is £750 – £2,500
Option 2) To obtain a Grant of Probate and thereafter to deal with all the administration of the estate, subject to the provisos as set out in the summary. Our fee range for this option is £1,500 – £20,000.
Our probate service is calculated by estimating the number of hours it will take to process an estate. Below is an outline of the hourly rate of each member of our Probate team.
Gary De’Ath £300 plus VAT
Sarah Lee £260 plus VAT
Edward Jacobs £220 plus VAT
Hourly rates are based on experience and expertise.
For those cases which naturally fall outside the mainstream whether by way of a complexity, value of assets or otherwise, we would quote separately at the first meeting and establish a fee at the outset.
What is included in the price?
This is dictated by which of the two options of work you instruct us to carry out.
|Option 1||Option 2|
|Face to face meeting to receive instructions.||Face to face meeting to receive instructions.|
|Preparing the application papers for probate including, where applicable, the consideration of and obtaining appropriate tax reliefs and allowances for inheritance tax purposes.||Collation of details of the assets and liabilities.|
|Obtaining probate.||Preparing the application papers for probate including, where applicable, the consideration of and obtaining appropriate tax reliefs and allowances for inheritance tax purposes.|
|Obtaining probate, collecting in the assets of the estate, paying debts including the settling of inheritance tax.|
|Reporting on income tax and capital gains tax where necessary and obtaining clearance.|
|Distributing the estate.|
What factors could increase or decrease the price?
- Difficulty in obtaining clear instructions.
- Difficulty in receiving prompt responses from asset holders and creditors.
- Difficulty in obtaining prompt clearance from HMRC in respect of inheritance tax liabilities.
- Unexpected movements in investment markets.
- Unforeseen claims against the estate.
We will always provide you with a cost estimate at the commencement of work. The figures given at this stage are estimates only and are exclusive of VAT. We will inform you if and when it becomes apparent that the final charge will be in excess of the figure given to you.
What is not included in the price/service that a client might otherwise expect?
- Preparation of tax returns.
- Preparation of estate accounts.
- Disbursements, for example:
- Will searches
- Probate Court fees and Commissioner’s fees.
- Trustee Act Notices and statutory advertisement for creditors
- Bankruptcy searches
- HM Land Registry Fees
- Bank Charges
- Third party services, for example, valuations of assets such as a house or shares and other valuable chattels.
- Tracing missing beneficiaries and genealogist fees.
- The sale and management of land and buildings.
- Contested Wills.
- Administering ongoing trusts arising by virtue of death.
- Obtaining probate between 3 and 6 months from instruction according to complexity.
- Obtaining clearance from inheritance, income and capital gains tax liabilities from HMRC between 6 months and 2 years according to complexity and sometimes the efficiency of HMRC.
- Final distribution dependent upon the above. Usually between 6 months and 2 years subject always to outside factors such as completing a house sale.
Experience and qualifications
Edward Jacobs LLB – Solicitor
4 years’ experience
For contested wills or probate matters with foreign assets
The fee range outlined above covers the basis of charges for uncontested wills, with all assets registered in the UK. If your matter falls outside these parameters, please get in touch and we can arrange to discuss your case in more detail to provide a tailored quotation.