A Brief History
Gross & Co. Solicitors originated in 1848, when Woolnough Gross was admitted as a solicitor and practiced alone until his son Charles joined the toll of solicitors in 1886 and they practiced as Woolnough Gross & Son.
- 1929 the firm had an office based at 50 Abbeygate Street
- 1917 Arthur Chamberlayne joined the partnership and the name changed to Woolnough Gross Son & Chamberlayne
- 1952 Senior Partner was John Knight; twice Mayor of Bury St. Edmunds
- 1965 the firm became Gross & Co. Solicitors
- 1981 moved to its present home at 83/84 Guildhall Street
- 1986 Graeme Kirk joined the partnership
Supporting the Local Community & Charitable Fundraising
All the Partners and team play an active role in the local community particularly charitable fundraising.
Sponsor of the Winter Programme & Lunchtime Concerts, Theatre Royal, Bury St. Edmunds
We are proud to have been associated with the Theatre Royal for well over a decade, making significant capital contributions to the refurbishment of the Theatre, and supporting the lunch time concerts. Partner and head of Wills, Trusts & Probate Department Gary De’Ath has served as a member of the Development Board of the Theatre.
Senior partner Graeme Kirk is a former President of the Suffolk and North Essex Law Society and past President and member of the Bury St Edmunds Rotary club.
Client Care Partner Elizabeth Hodder serves in a number of roles; Trustee of Bury St Edmunds Citizens’ Advice Bureau, Women’s Aid and Relate (formerly Marriage Guidance Counselling). Recently she has become a Trustee of Meningioma UK, a charity supporting people with a rare form of brain tumour. Also former member of Bury Abbey Rotary Club.
Partner Gary De’Ath is a Director of Commissions East, which sponsors the Arts across the East of England. Gary donates his time to this organisation entirely free of charge and is strongly committed to the project.
We provide sponsorship and financial support for a wide range of charities and local institutions including, but not exclusively: