A Brief History
Gross & Co. Solicitors originated in 1848, when Woolnough Gross was admitted as a solicitor and practiced alone until his son Charles joined the toll of solicitors in 1886 and they practiced as Woolnough Gross & Son.
- 1929 the firm had an office based at 50 Abbeygate Street
- 1917 Arthur Chamberlayne joined the partnership and the name changed to Woolnough Gross Son & Chamberlayne
- 1952 Senior Partner was John Knight; twice Mayor of Bury St. Edmunds
- 1965 the firm became Gross & Co. Solicitors
- 1981 moved to its present home at 83/84 Guildhall Street
- 1986 Graeme Kirk joined the partnership
Supporting the Local Community & Charitable Fundraising
All the team play an active role in the local community particularly charitable fundraising.
Sponsor of the Spring Programme & Lunchtime Concerts, Theatre Royal, Bury St. Edmunds
We are proud to have been associated with the Theatre Royal for well over a decade, making significant capital contributions to the refurbishment of the Theatre, and supporting the lunch time concerts. Partner and head of Wills, Trusts & Probate Department Gary De’Ath has served as a member of the Development Board of the Theatre.
Senior partner Graeme Kirk is a former President of the Suffolk and North Essex Law Society and past President and member of the Bury St Edmunds Rotary club.
Client Care Partner Elizabeth Hodder has served in a number of roles over her years in Bury St Edmunds. She is a former Trustee of Bury St Edmunds Citizen’s Advice Bureau; a former Director of Women’s Aid; a former Trustee of Relate (formerly Marriage Guidance Counselling); and a past Trustee of Meningioma UK, a charity supporting people with a rare form of brain tumour. Finally, she was also a former member of Bury Abbey Rotary Club. She currently serves as a Parish Councillor.
Partner Gary De’Ath is a Director of Commissions East, which sponsors the Arts across the East of England. Gary donates his time to this organisation entirely free of charge and is strongly committed to the project.
We provide sponsorship and financial support for a wide range of charities and local institutions including, but not exclusively:
- Cancer Research UK
- County Upper School
- Meningioma UK
- Peoples’ Dispensary for Sick Animals
- St Nicholas’ Hospice Care
- The Lennox Childrens Cancer Fund
- My WiSH Charity
- Amnesty International
- Bury St Edmunds Contact Centre
- Gatehouse Caring
- Help for Heroes
- Hidden Gardens of Bury
- The Association of Young People suffering with ME
- The Brain Tumour Charity